Caldeirada de Peixe is a traditional fish stew from Portugal, specifically from the coastal regions of the country where fishing is an important part of the local economy and culture. The dish is said to have originated in the Algarve region in the south of Portugal, where it has been enjoyed for generations.
The name “caldeirada” comes from the Portuguese word “caldeira,” which means a large pot or cauldron. The dish is typically made by cooking fish and vegetables in a large pot or cauldron over an open flame. The ingredients used in Caldeirada de Peixe vary depending on the region and the availability of local ingredients, but typically include fish, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, and other vegetables.
Caldeirada de Peixe is a hearty and flavorful dish that reflects the coastal culture of Portugal. It is often served with crusty bread and a glass of white wine, making it a perfect meal for a warm summer evening by the sea. The dish has become popular outside of Portugal as well, and is now enjoyed in many countries around the world.
Here’s a recipe for Caldeirada de Peixe:
- 1 lb of fish (such as sea bass, monkfish, or hake), cut into pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1/2 cup of fish stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced potatoes, bell peppers, and tomatoes to the pot, and stir to combine.
- Add the fish stock, white wine, and bay leaf to the pot, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the fish pieces to the pot, and gently stir to combine.
- Cover the pot and let simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through.
- Remove the bay leaf from the pot and discard.
- Serve the Caldeirada de Peixe hot, garnished with fresh parsley.
Enjoy your delicious and authentic Caldeirada de Peixe!